Bonsecours Market (French: Marché Bonsecours) is an enormous masonry building topped with a gleaming silver dome that stretches a full city block. Located in Old Montreal (French: Vieux-Montréal) and built in the Neoclassical style, this landmark building is located at the edge of the old port. The building has been used as Montreal’s first city hall, together with a public market, meeting and exhibition rooms, and a concert hall. Rehabilitated in the mid-twentieth century, it now accommodates exhibitions, shops and restaurants. It is recognized as one of the ten most beautiful heritage buildings in Canada.
Commonly known as the large building with the silver dome, Bonsecours Market is one of the most notable buildings in Old Montreal. It is named after the nearby church, Notre Dame de Bonsecours (which is also known as the Sailor’s Church). It is acknowledged as one of Canada’s finest heritage buildings and has become an essential stop on any visit to Old Montreal. Originally constructed from 1844 to 1847 to designs by architect William Footner, the market was first opened in 1847. Inaugurated as a public market, the building also briefly housed the Parliament of of Upper and Lower Canada in 1849, and served as Montreal’s city hall from 1852 to 1878. Bonsecours Market continued as Montréal’s principal public market for more than a hundred years.
Today, the Bonsecours Market houses fifteen boutiques featuring top-quality “made in Québec” creations: crafts, fashions, accessories and jewellery, design items, reproduction Quebec furniture and more. Its restaurants and their terraces are opened during warm weather and offer local fare. You can even share a meal in the 17th century ambiance of the famous Cabaret du Roy.
The Bonsecours Market is located right at the heart of several of Montreal’s major tourist attractions. It borders on the Quays of the Old-Port and is walking distance from many top attractions such as the Pointe-à-Callière Archaeology and History Museum, the Montreal History Centre, Notre-Dame Basilica, the Montreal Interactive Science Centre and the Bonsecours Basin.